Learn the types of waste and the legislation that regulates it. The main processes related to waste management, among which, reduction, recycling, reuse, assessment, treatment, final destination, and handling thereof are highlighted. Characterize and classify waste in order to decide upon its best management process. Assess the impact that waste generates in different environmental compartments.
Definition of waste. Classification of waste. European, Spanish, and regional legislation. Environmental impact from waste. Waste management, treatment, recycling, and assessment.
One of the main challenges of environmental management, at any scale, is the proper management of waste, as these can significant impacts on the environment.
This course will enable students to identify environmental problems that currently cause the different waste, and also the current management options, and the legislation that regulates them.
The interest of the subject lies in the need of society to have technicians capable of performing tasks of waste management to environmental legislation (European, national and regional) increasingly demanding.
Competencies and learning outcomes
- Understand the function, structure, and dynamics of ecosystems, both terrestrial and marine, and territories that are traditionally manipulated to exploit their resources.
- Understand and value diversity in all the senses of living things, not only referring to other organisms, but also in social and cultural diversity.
- Be capable of designing and developing sustainable strategies for Mediterranean ecosystem management in both protected natural areas as well as areas of human influence.
- Assess global change, analyzing the speed of the processes and changes caused by human activity within the territory.
- Manage in practice, in order to solve environmental problems, the technology and methods that currently range from genomic and proteomic analysis in organisms all the way to remote sensing technologies.
- Develop the capacity for multidisciplinary teamwork that adds specialists from diverse competence areas of the environment.
- Be capable of resolving environmental problems related with business and governmental activities.
- Oral and written communication skills in English.
- Skills related with computing tools and information and communication technologies, as well as accessing online databases, such as scientific literature, patent databases, and legislation.
- Oral and written communication skills in Spanish. Capacity to produce and defend projects in the field of scientific research.
- Understand and be capable of assessing the uses and demands of water for various purposes within the Mediterranean context.
- Identify improvement strategies for water management.
- Understand the technical tools for sustainable water use and their potential for improvement and innovation.
- Be capable of writing a treatment and purification project for urban and industrial water based on new technical criteria and environmental sustainability.
- Understand the legislation applicable to the production and management of various types of waste.
- Be capable of developing good technical management of various types of waste.
- Identify and quantify environmental and legal aspects for environmental planning and the territorial prospective.
- Capability to analyze, implement, and adapt an environmental management system to various types of businesses and official organisms.
- Be able to characterize the environmental function and situation of businesses and institutions.
- Understand and apply international ISO and EMAS standards concerning environmental certification.
- Be able to prepare an environmental impact study and new environmental correction proposals.
- Understand and be capable of applying the methodology for carrying out a strategic environmental assessment.
- Acquire the capacity to understand, analyze, and manage environmental pollution problems and search for solutions that minimize them from the environmental, application, and economic points of view.
- Be able to propose corrective measures that minimize air, water, and soil pollution.
- Apply digital/statistical processing techniques to aerial and satellite imagery for analyzing territory and determining land use.
- Develop innovative planning proposals based on the advance of knowledge and the application of new technologies that permit proper handling and management of spaces and sustainable territorial development.
- Understand the viability of organic farming as a means of sustainable management in rural areas and new crop systems.
- Identify and assess aspects related with the biota and environmental management as keys to furthering the study of natural and anthropic environments.
Objectives (Learning outcomes)
- Know all the different concepts about what is waste, especially the legal point of view
- Know the legal framework of the production and management of wastes
- Know the different types of wastes and the associated legislation
- Know the composition and basic characteristics of the main types of wastes
- Know the different waste management processes
- Know how to characterize and classify the wastes, with the aim to link with the best management option
- Identify the main impacts and problems caused by an inadequate management of wastes on the different environmental pools
- Identify the opportunities which offer several types of wastes to be considered resources. The concept change from waste to resource
- Learn with the detail the composting of organic wastes, and other environmentally friendly biological treatments
- Know the main environmental issues implied in the agricultural valorization of the organic wastes
- Know the national and regional strategies of waste management
- Learn how to search information about wastes in different sources, and how to summarize it
- Tchobanoglous, George. Szanto Narea, Marcel / Vigil, Samuel A. / Theisen, Hilary / Tejero Monzon, Juan Ignacio / Gil Diaz, José Luis. "Gestión integral de residuos sólidos". Madrid [etc.] McGraw-Hill de España D.L. 1996.
- Canet Castelló, Rodolfo. Pomares García, Fernando / Cabot Polo, Beatriz. "Aprovechamiento agrícola de los resíduos de almazara mediante compostaje IV Premios de Investigación Fundación Rural Caja Área de Agricultura". Valencia Fundación Ruralcaja Valencia DL 2003.
- Boixadera, Jaume, ed. / Teira, M.Rosa, ed. "Aplicación agrícola de residuos orgánicos". [Lleida?] Edicions de la Universitat de Lleida D.L.2001.
- Aguilar Torres, Fernando José. González Fernández, Pedro. "Utilización agrícola de compost de residuos sólidos urbanos en cultivos leñosos de la provincia de Córdoba". Sevilla Junta de Andalucía, Consejería de Agricultura y Pesca 1998.
- Seoánez Calvo, Mariano. "Residuos problemática, descripción, manejo , aprovechamiento y destrucción manual para políticos, técnicos, enseñantes y estudiosos de la Ingeniería del Medio Ambiente". Madrid Mundi-Prensa 2000.
- Seoánez Calvo, Mariano. "Tratado de reciclado y recuperación de productos de los residuos el recilado en la naturaleza, el reciclado en el medio agrario...". Madrid Mundi-Prensa 2000.
- Stoffella, Peter J. / Kahn, Brian A. "Utilización de compost en los sistemas de cultivo hortícola". Madrid Mundi-Prens 2005.
- Moreno Casco, Joaquín / Moral Herrero Raúl. "Compostaje". Madrid Mundi Prensa 2008.
- Castells, Xavier Elias. "Tratamiento y valorización energética de residuos". [Barcelona] Fundación universitaria Iberoamericana Madrid Díaz de Santos .
- Navarro Pedreño, José aut. "Residuos orgánicos y agricultura". Alicante Universidad D.L. 1995.
- "Reciclaje de residuos industriales". Madrid Díaz de Santos 2009.
Methodology and grading
- Case studies: Learning through the analysis of actual or simulated cases in order to interpret and resolve them by employing various alternative solution procedures.
- Cooperative learning: Develop active learning through cooperative working strategies among students and promote shared responsibility to reach group goals.
- Lecture: Pass on knowledge and activate cognitive processes in students, encouraging their participation.
- Problem-based learning: Develop active learning strategies through problem solving that promote thinking, experimentation, and decision making in the student.
- Project-based learning: Realization of a project to solve a problem, applying acquired learning and promoting abilities related to planning, design, performing activities, and reaching conclusions.
- Solving exercises and problems: Exercise, test, and apply previous knowledge through routine repetition.
- - Examen: 40% de la nota
- Trabajo individual a exponer: 35%
- Entrega de informes tras prácticas: 15%
- Entrega de informes tras visitas/salidas de campo: 10%