This course trains students to make clinical decisions, and to understand the efficacy, effectiveness, and efficiency of preventive activities in therapeutic interventions. Furthermore, students are also shown how to understand the importance of the synthesis of research results in five teaching units.
- Methodology of clinical decision making. Clinical practice guides. Levels of scientific evidence.
- Efficacy, effectiveness, and efficiency of preventive activities.
- Complementary tests in clinical diagnosis. Validity indicators and usefulness.
- Efficacy, effectiveness, and efficiency of therapeutic interventions.
- Synthesis of results: meta-analysis, systematic reviews, and summarizing journals.
Competencies and learning outcomes
- Demonstrate systematic competence in the field of medicine, and mastery of the research skills and methods associated with that field.
- Contribute with original research that extends the frontiers of knowledge by developing a substantial body that merits referenced national or international publication.
- Ability to critically analyze, evaluate, and synthesize new and complex ideas.
- Understand methodology in clinical decision making. Clinical practice guidelines. Levels of scientific evidence.
- Understand the value of additional tests in clinical diagnosis. Indicators of validity and utility.
- Understand the meanings of the terms efficacy, effectiveness, and efficiency in therapeutic interventions.
Objectives (Learning outcomes)
- Know how access to the literature science and the information existing in connection with the problem to investigate.
- Show a critical attitude in the process of Health Attention that allows identify areas of uncertainty, susceptible of development of questions or hypothesis for the initiation of a project of research that give response to that uncertainty.
- Know spread the knowledge between the professionals of their discipline or disciplines related.
- Know use the technologies of the information and of the communication for the diffusion of the knowledge.
Methodology and grading
- To asses the course, participation in these activities will take into account:
1- Participation in forum / task: the date specified in the schedule, there will be a task on a topic related to the course with defined objectives which the student must give its reasoned opinion. Dates for its completion and shipment will come indicated on the Master's degree calendar. The evaluation scores from 0 to 10 depending on the quality of the answers. The evaluation of this task will have a value of 20% of the total of the subject.
2- Work of recession: the student will do a project for the subject of taking of decisions in the clinical practice that will consist:
1 Clinical question/research based methodology peak: its clinical practice
P = study patient/population
I = intervention exposure if any
C = compared with another strategy may
Or = results you want to obtain
2 different databases consulted bibliographic search strategy
3. other consulted Internet resource
4 descriptors used: according to the base consulted to describe the descriptors or MeSH or key words used
5 results (number of items of interest)
6 choose at least 1 work that answer to WorldLingo
7 quote at least 3 works according to the rules of Vancouver.
8.-utility work for your clinical question, it helps you make a decision based on the evidence available
The assesment of the review scores from 0 to 10 depending on the quality of the content in accordance with the recommendations discussed previously in this section. The evaluation of the work of recession will have a value of 80% of the total of the subject.